We Mean Business Coalition works with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. The Coalition is a group of seven non-profit organizations who together catalyze business and government action to halve emissions by 2030 and accelerate an inclusive transition to a net-zero economy.
We are looking for a communications consultant to work with our thriving communications team in the run up to the important UN Climate Change Conference COP26. This individual will report directly to the Director of Communications and work closely with our Deputy Directors for Content, Campaigns, and Media.
The candidate’s primary focus will be delivering the We Mean Business Coalition’s events and helping secure strong media coverage. The successful candidate will have experience with business and climate issues. They will be highly organized, strategic, creative and results oriented with demonstrable success in delivering media coverage and impactful events. They will be collaborative and skilled in managing relationships with multiple stakeholders.
Please note this will be a full-time contract running until the end of November starting as soon as possible.
Work as part of the communications team and with close links to the policy team on our COP26 work with a particular focus on:
- Planning and executing impactful events at key moments through to and during COP26, including:
- Planning event strategy based on a strong understanding of our COP26 goals
- Managing the events from planning through to delivery and impact assessment
- Curating and drafting engaging content
- Bringing in and helping to prepare speakers
- Liaising with and coordinating with partners
- Arranging media partnerships where possible and needed to boost event reach to key audiences
- Publicizing events to reach key audiences
- Liaising closely with the communications team for integration of events within our existing channels
- Liaising closely with policy team as part of our campaigning through to COP26, and bringing in other team members as required to deliver the events
- Developing digital tactics to increase impact and reach of events
- Use content from the events for further COP26 campaigning efforts
- Support in implementing a media strategy through to COP26 that supports our business action and policy advocacy goals
- Proactively secure media coverage by:
- Monitoring media features for story placement
- Pitching media stories at key moments through to COP26 and during the conference
- React to news stories in the media
- Support the team in planning and managing press briefings
- Providing a press office function as we get closer to COP26
- Support in the delivery of our headline ‘All in for 2030’ campaign as needed
- Stakeholder management – you like bringing people together and finding common ground and people recognize you for that.
- Organization – you are extremely organized and can systematize processes.
- Planning – you are comfortable creating plans and can keep people on track to deliver to it.
- Writing – you have excellent writing skills and can write for different audiences.
- Results oriented – you are laser focused on the end goal
- Project management and collaboration tools – you’re comfortable working with project management and collaboration tools.
- Self-starter – you can work without significant supervision. When you and your team decide on a project plan, you go for it and come back if/when you have questions.
- Clear communicator – Makes sure everyone has received the same and correct message when you have relayed information.
- Solid collaborator – who sees value in others’ opinions.
- Agile and flexible – Embraces an ethos of testing, refining, and doing it all over again.
- 8+ years’ experience working in the field of media and communications.
- You have worked with varied stakeholders on high-level media projects.
- You have experience translating a vision and goals into a media strategy.
- You are comfortable managing high-level stakeholders
- You have experience in event management including media production around events.
- Experience developing strong media stories, pitching to press and writing strong copy with an eye for a good news story.
- Fluent English required (and is our main language used), other language skills are a plus.
- Experience working with corporate audiences and/or on climate change.
Submit a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample and availability here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
All positions at We Mean Business Coalition are grant funded and are contingent upon continued funding. We Mean Business Coalition is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.All Job Openings