Communications Director, Mission Possible Partnership (MPP)
Location: Remote; United States or Europe
Reports to: CEO, Mission Possible Partnership
Hours Per Week: Full time
Overtime Status: Exempt
Applications accepted until January 21st, 2022
The Mission Possible Partnership (MPP) is an alliance of climate leaders working to advance the decarbonisation of some of the world’s highest-emitting industries in the next 10 years. It supports 7 sector initiatives – in chemicals, concrete, steel, aluminium, trucking, shipping and aviation – and engages key stakeholders across those value chains. It was founded by the Energy Transitions Commission, RMI, We Mean Business Coalition and the World Economic Forum. It will become an independent entity in 2022.
Strategic communications is core to the success of MPP. The Communications Director will serve as a key member of the MPP management team contributing to the development and execution of MPP’s overarching strategy.
The role will report to the CEO of Mission Possible Partnership. It will initially sit within the We Mean Business Coalition secretariat team and have a dotted line report to the Co-director of Communications at We Mean Business Coalition. A core founding partner of MPP, We Mean Business Coalition is a group of nonprofit organizations, working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing MPP’s communications strategy. She/He will be highly skilled in strategic communications, partnership development and stakeholder management, and be passionate about advancing MPP’s mission.
- Work closely with all partners involved in MPP to develop, refine and deliver a powerful and innovative communications strategy that is aligned with MPP’s strategic objectives.
- Support individual MPP sector initiatives in developing and delivering their communications strategies.
- Lead and manage the MPP communications team; working to cultivate a high-performing team with leading-edge assets & skill sets.
- Drive forward the collaboration with the communications teams of partner organisations, cultivating strong relationships, ensuring community management and leveraging partners to expand the reach of MPP.
- Shape powerful messaging that will land at the right time with the right audiences and provide key message briefings to partners and spokespeople to ensure consistent delivery.
- Secure media coverage for the work of MPP in top tier and industry sector outlets.
- Support the delivery of ambitious corporate engagement campaigns, delivering impactful content and stories that support the partnerships objectives, across owned and earned media.
- Identify opportunities for the MPP to feature at key events, and support engagement at those events with messaging, media, digital strategy and branding.
- Act as brand-guardian for MPP: creating, enhancing and protecting the partnerships branding and messaging.
- Ensure clear goals and KPIs for communications channels and monitor effectively to continuously improve reach and engagement.
- Manage relationships with agencies where needed.
- Work with the We Mean Business Coalition communications team to ensure integrated messaging and consistency with our systems communications work.
- Communications strategy – You have a strong track record of developing and delivering communications strategies for maximum impact. You have experience leading communications for a climate-related initiative or organisation.
- Stakeholder management & Collaboration – You are highly skilled in building relationships and bringing people together to find common ground and multiply impact, and people recognize you for that. You see value in others’ opinions and build win-win collaborations.
- Self-starter – You are able to lead projects, take initiative and work without supervision. You take a pragmatic view in order to drive projects forward in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Planning & Delivery – You are extremely organized and can systematize processes. You are comfortable creating short- and long-term plans and can keep a team on track to execute and deliver. At the same time, you are flexible and can revise plans and manage expectations when circumstances change.
- Executive counsel – You are experienced working with senior business leaders (C-suite) and providing them with considered and pragmatic advice which will help drive awareness of MPP and enhance and protect reputation.
- Messaging and narrative building – You are able to understand complex, technical topics, and translate those into impactful messages for more general audiences. You can create engaging and timely copy for external audiences to a high level.
- Media – You are skilled in developing media stories and building journalist relationships.
- People and agency management – You have experience managing a team as well as agencies or freelancers.
- Flexibility – You are flexible in ways of working and agile to change. You have experience working internationally and adapting to cultural differences.
- Languages – Verbal and written fluency in English is essential and fluency in another language is a strong advantage.
- 10+ years’ experience working in the field of media and communications.
- Demonstrable experience delivering high-profile, impactful strategic communications campaigns, preferably in a mission-focused / climate-focused organisation.
- Experience translating a vision and goals into a clear communications strategy, powerful messaging and delivery workplan that can be executed by the team.
- Experience translating complex, technical topics into powerful narratives and messages.
- Comfortable managing high-level (C-suite) stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and build relationships and networks with diverse groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, develop and inspire a high-performing team of direct reports.
- Experience in project management and management of agencies.
- Comfortable working remotely.
- Fluent English required; other language skills a plus.
Please submit your cover letter and resume here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 21st, 2022.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment tasks, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to [email protected].
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous time off, and paid parental leave.
All positions at We Mean Business Coalition are grant funded and are contingent upon continued funding. We Mean Business Coalition is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
All Job Openings