LOCATION: New York City (Remote)
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director, Campaigns and Communications
HOURS PER WEEK (AVERAGE): Full time
OVERTIME STATUS: Exempt
We Mean Business (WMB) is a global coalition of nonprofit organizations, working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. We are working to transform the world economy so that it is on track to limit global warming to 1.5°C in ways that deliver sustainable economic growth and shared prosperity. Through unprecedented collaboration, we catalyze business action and drive ambitious policy to halve emissions by 2030 and accelerate an inclusive transition to a net-zero economy by 2050, at the latest.
Strategic communications is core to driving the success of the coalition. The We Mean Business secretariat’s communications team deploys leading-edge communications strategy and tactics to deliver on the coalition’s overarching goals.
We are seeking an experienced communications manager based in New York to join our high-performing, remote team. The successful candidate will:
- Lead and manage the communications function of the SME Climate Hub.
- Support the delivery of integrated communications campaigns that drive companies to commit to bold climate action and net-zero ambition through The Climate Pledge, and other corporate campaigns such as Business Ambition for 1.5°C.
- Play a key role in the coalition’s communications team, supporting the delivery of ambitious corporate advocacy and action campaigns.
The We Mean Business coalition is a founding partner in the SME Climate Hub. The Hub was launched in partnership with the International Chambers of Commerce, Exponential Roadmap Initiative and the UN Race to Zero campaign in September 2020. The We Mean Business coalition is leading on the communications efforts that support the Hub. The successful applicant will spend up to 60% of their time working with the partners in the SME Climate Hub to develop, lead and deliver the SME Climate Hub communications strategy.
The We Mean Business coalition is also a key partner to The Climate Pledge, which was co-founded by Amazon and Global Optimism. We Mean Business is encouraging companies from around the world to take a leadership position and accelerate climate goals to reach net-zero emissions by 2040 through The Climate Pledge. The communications manager will work closely with The Climate Pledge team and We Mean Business secretariat to support and accelerate corporate recruitment efforts through strategic communications and campaigning.
- Work with the SME Climate Hub and The Climate Pledge partners to define and implement a communications strategy to support mobilization of companies making the SME Climate Commitment and The Climate Pledge respectively.
- Shape key messages and develop/support strategies to land them for the SME Climate Hub and The Climate Pledge target audiences respectively.
- Write and distribute press releases.
- Secure broader media coverage for the SME Climate Hub and build relationships with target media.
- Write and maintain copy for the SME Climate Hub website.
- Develop blogs and other content for the SME Climate Hub website.
- Oversee day-to-day posting on SME Climate Hub social media channels.
- Identify opportunities for the SME Climate Hub to feature at key events, and support engagement at those events.
- Lead collaboration between the SME Climate Hub partners on communications and host weekly communications meetings.
- Provide regular communications reporting and updates for The SME Climate Hub management team.
- Support the corporate recruitment efforts for The Climate Pledge through strategic communications, including but not limited to contributing to media relations, content development, thought leadership, social media strategy and events.
- Provide regular communications reporting and updates for The Climate Pledge.
- Track against agreed metrics and evolve strategy based on a clear understanding of what works.
- Keep up-to-date with climate change and business issues.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in marketing, journalism, communications or public relations) or relevant experience.
- 5 – 7 years experience working in the field of media and communications.
- You have led or helped a team translate a vision and goals into a media strategy.
- You are comfortable managing varied, high-level stakeholders and have managed media production around high-level events.
- Experience in project management and/or management of an in-house and outsourced team.
- Fluent English required (and is our main language used), other language skills are a plus.
- Experience working with corporate and/or SME audiences, and/or on climate change, is a plus.
- Stakeholder management – you like bringing people together and finding common ground and people recognize you for that.
- Synthesis – you can listen to disparate needs and find synergy.
- Organization – you are extremely organized and can systematize processes.
- Planning – you are comfortable creating short- and long-term plans and can keep people on track to deliver to it.
- Writing – you have excellent writing skills and can write for different audiences.
- Analytics – experience with analytics processes and platforms.
- Project management and collaboration tools – you’re comfortable working with digital project management and collaboration tools.
- Self-starter – you can work without significant supervision. When you and your team decide on a project plan, you go for it and come back if/when you have questions.
- Clear communicator – Makes sure everyone has received the same and correct message when you have relayed information.
- Solid collaborator – who sees value in others’ opinions.
- Agile and flexible – Embraces an ethos of testing, refining, and doing it all over again.
Submit a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample and availability to [email protected], with subject line Communications Manager – YOUR NAME. Applications will be accepted until March 12th, 2021.
Diversity at We Mean Business
We Mean Business is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF and WMB are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.All Job Openings