Full-time remote with possibility of part-time office working in some locationswithin European or US East coast time zones
Deputy Director, Energy
Hours per week (average)
1 year (to end of 2024)
We Mean Business Coalition is a global nonprofit coalition working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. Together we catalyze business leadership to drive policy ambition and accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon economy.
We Mean Business Coalition is launching an exciting and high profile campaign focused on the phase out of fossil fuels. This project will rally business voices in support of phase out and in turn use this momentum to provide governments with confidence to make international commitments and national policies for the same. This project will also seek to influence the value chains of supporting business as well as investor behavior.
The Manager will coordinate the campaign for the Coalition . This role will coordinate with our key NGO partners, other coalitions and companies to grow fossil fuels phase out into an international business-led movement across stakeholders.
As part of the Systems Transformation team, you will work closely with colleagues across Systems, Policy and Communication to deliver a world class and transformative business movement. The Systems Transformation team develops and direct overall strategy, coordination and execution of the Coalition’s programs, system transformation activities and supply chain actions. We work across hard to abate sectors such as industry or heavy transport, but also at system level through sectors such as power and nature-based solutions.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The manager reports to the Managing Director, Systems Transformation and will be responsible for managing delivery over the next 12 months (until end 2024). Working with and through the WMB secretariat and the Coalition partners, the manager will:
- Lead and track outreach to companies to persuade them to join the fossil fuel phase out movement.
- Develop and maintain the WMBC project plans, together with partners, ensure tracking mechanisms are in place and follow up to measure progress and ensure impact.
- Maintain close ties with policy colleagues to identify shifts in the political landscape and co-create necessary policy-oriented responses within the project.
- Work closely with communications & events colleagues to develop and maintain project messaging (e.g. speaking points), communications collateral (e.g. articles), general information (e.g. website), and support in delivery of campaign events, as part of a coordinated campaign.
- Maintain a mapping of relevant organizations and initiatives with close ties to the project and engage with peers at these organizations to align and coordinate as necessary.
Skills & Approach
- Excellent multi-stakeholder project management skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and resilience
- Good understanding of the risks and opportunities of climate action that companies face
- Ability to work independently and bring structure/organization to complex projects
- Persuasive and clear, with strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to translate new data into insights and options
- Positive mindset with a creative approach to problem-solving
Experience & Education
- Bachelors Degree in relevant field or equivalent work experience
- >8 years experience in project management and campaigning roles.
- A background in energy and collaborative business initiatives in the field of climate change
- Direct experience working on communication campaigns
- Strong track record in project management and delivery of business- and sustainability-related initiatives
- Established network of contacts in the climate change and environmental sustainability fields of work
- Experience of NGOs ideal
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous time off, and paid parental leave.
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume here. Applications will be considered starting on a rolling basis / until 15 September 2023.
All positions at We Mean Business Coalition are grant funded and are contingent upon continued funding.
We Mean Business Coalition is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
All Job Openings