We Mean Business Coalition is a global nonprofit coalition working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. Together we catalyze business leadership to drive policy ambition and accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon economy.
To achieve a net-zero economy, the world must halve emissions by 2030 and halt and reverse the destruction of nature, starting now.
The Director, Development will lead the execution of We Mean Business Coalition’s fundraising strategy for 2024-2030, which includes new WMB Initiatives and programmatic partnerships with top global organizations.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Lead development and execution of fundraising strategy with support from the Director of Communications, the Management Team and the CPO.
- Initiate, facilitate, and manage productive and high-value relationships ($1M+) between WMB Secretariat and key funders resulting in $10M in new funding in 2024.
- Work to develop an engagement strategy with Communications and Program teams for donors and prospects.
- Develop donor relationship management processes to be institutionalized via Salesforce as CRM.
- Represent WMBC in funder meetings and groups to enhance WMBC’s profile as a strategic non-profit and re-grantor.
- Use knowledge of climate funding landscape to find synergies with current and new funder portfolios and our 2024-2030 strategy.
- Develop (with support from the Secretariat) accompanying materials for fundraising including cases for support, qualified prospect lists, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Coordinate proposals for funders across the Secretariat, managing upwards effectively.
- Develop performance targets for fundraising, tracking progress, pursuing corrective actions and reporting to the WMBC Board as required.
- Work with finance and HR to ensure agreements protect interests of We Mean Business and funders.
Skills & Approach
- Strong networker in Corporate philanthropy, Foundations and HNWI
- Demonstrated ability to envision, develop and lead fundraising strategies
- Strong communicator with ability to pitch collaborative programs
- Able to navigate and understand a complicated funding environment with the flexibility to change course quickly with a positive attitude
- Highly collaborative and team player
- Ability to lead proposal and grant writing processes and knowledge of Salesforce is a plus
- Familiarity with and a passion for working on corporate climate action, including intersections with nature and social issues
- Willingness to plunge into unfamiliar disciplines
Experience & Education
- 10+ years experience in fundraising and commercial background
- Experience working in climate is a plus
- Deep knowledge of funders, NGOs and/or experience working in climate and environment globally
- Proven fundraising experience raising $5M+ annually, including experience managing bespoke funding opportunities and securing multiple gifts of $1M+ from Corporate philanthropy, Foundations or HNWI
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume on Workable. Applications will be considered starting on a rolling basis / until 4 January 2024.
All positions at We Mean Business Coalition are grant funded and are contingent upon continued funding.
We Mean Business Coalition is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Benefits and compensation vary per region and are competitive with local prevailing packages. Medical plans fully covered in the US. Regardless of location, team members get equipment stipends to ensure they are set up wherever they may be working from, generous time off, and paid parental leave.